Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Our First Trip to the ER


These last couple of weeks have been crazy and I have not updated in awhile. But I wanted to post the most important news. So on Thursday, May 14th, Jackson climbed into our bed early that morning because he said his side was hurting. We didn't really think anything of it, then a little later, he started complaining that he couldn't breathe either. We weren't sure what was wrong, but we figured we better take him to the ER to see what was going on. So around 5:00 a.m. we headed off to Mercy Gilbert ER to get him checked out. We almost didn't go, because he would start to say that it didn't really hurt anymore, but then he would say it was starting to hurt again. So when we got there, we waited around awhile after all the paperwork and waiting for the dr. to finally get there. She was very nice, and wasn't quite sure what was wrong. He had a low grade fever so they gave him some motrin and ordered a chest xray just to see if they could see anything. Sure enough after the x-ray they found pneumonia on the left side of the lungs right where he said it was hurting. They gave him a rx for augmentin and sent him on his way. So we started the medicine and he started throwing up ang getting more sick. Then Friday I started noticing red bumps popping up all over his body. I thought that couldn't be chicken pox, could it? Or maybe he is allergic to his antibiotics. So he had a dr's appt that afternoon and as soon as I lifted up his shirt, the dr. kind of stepped back and said He has chicken pox alright. Then he freaked out and wondered if we were in the waiting room and how many other people we infected. (I didn't know it was chicken pox!!!) He had us go out the back way, barely giving us a new rx for antibiotics and directions for chicken pox. So then I went to get the new rx filled and it turned out that one pharmacy didn't carry it, so she called around to see who had it and when I got there they told me it was going to be $120! I said is there anything else we can get. So they called the dr's office (this is about 3:30 on a friday remember) and left a message. Around 6:30 I called the pharmacy and they said they were still waiting on the dr. to call back, but obviously they are closed for the weekend so they wouldn't evern hear back until monday. He was supposed to be on antibiotics for that whole time, so then I had to call the on-call nurse and she had to try to get a hold of the dr to get a new rx. Then she ended up having the wrong dr so finally 2 hours later, I finally got a new rx to give him as well as now give him oatmeal baths and calamine lotion drenchings for the chicken pox. (To top it all off Jerry and I had to speak in church on Sunday and I hadn't finished my talk by friday night either) So it was a fun 5 days of staying at home watching a lot of movies and saying "don't scratch" a million times a day! The poor guy had even had the shot which means if they get the chicken pox it usually is not supposed to be that bad. Well, he is the 1% that still gets them bad! His entire back was completely red and his stomach wasn't that much better! They were even in his mouth! He looked awful. The girls have not gotten it, maybe they won't. But I am glad it is over! The saddest thing about this whole experience was, on that thursday was supposed to be Water Day at Jackson's school and he had been looking forward to it for so long and then he couldn't even go. : ( He did make it back to the last day of school, so he could say goodbye to his teacher and friends. Thank goodness!

3 comments:

carmen said...

Oh! That looks like a bad case, too! Sorry to hear. Hope he is feeling better in no time at all. It's tough when our kids get sick.

Carol said...

oh my gosh that is horibble!! in his mouth, yikes. poor kid. i see his back and i just want to scratch it for him.

Deanne said...

I can't believe he really got the chicken pox. What a bummer!