Thursday, June 26, 2008

Picking Corn!



I am the wife of a farmer's son. As most of you know, Jerry grew up on a farm in Chandler. So he never lets me forget about the things he used to have to do! I always tease him about that and he teases me that I am such a city girl! Anyways, last weekend I got a little glimpse into a farmer's life. We went and picked corn at his grandfather's farm. I was not too excited about being pregnant, waking up at 5:30 a.m. and go out in the heat and pick corn, but he made me go. It actually wasn't too hot that early in the morning out at the farm. So I was ok. We took the kids and my mom, Jerry's mom and sister and his aunt and uncle schaeler. Armed with plastic bags, we headed into the corn field. Jackson loved to pick the corn. He was so excited and couldn't wait to eat it! We found some lady bugs and the kids were excited to find those and try to hold them. When we finished picking enough corn, we waited for the others to be finished and so what else do you do at a farm, but play around the ditch! The kids stuck their hands in the water and stepped in when we weren't watching them, but they had a blast! They truly love going to the farm! Then we headed home to start the real process! We had to shuck and clean the corn, then get it ready to freeze, so we had to cut off all the corn off the cobs. What a job! It really made me appreciate farmers, pioneers, etc. (I could never live a life like that!) Plus it was hot, and tons of flies and bugs and caterpillars in the corn. But it was worth it! We have plenty of corn to last us a long time and I don't have to hear Jerry complain about canned corn for awhile! What a day! Thanks Grandpa Barney for you generosity! We love you! And I was really glad for the kids to have that great experience and me as well! (P.S. Jerry actually had never picked corn, his allergies were always so bad, they wouldn't let him go in the field! So it was his first time too!) : )

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Those pictures bring back a lot of memories. When I was a kid my family used to go pick corn in our corn field a few days each fall to try and freeze enough corn to last for the rest of the year. It is fun to grow up on a farm.

Mindy

The Merrell Family said...

How fun! Next time tell Jerry to call Jared and they can go pick corn at 5:30 and us pregos can sleep! You just made me hungry for corn too!!